HollywoodsX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: 10 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
I guess wait and see if it's leaking, but something has to be dripping, melting, etc near, on or around the exhaust to be causing that smell. I'd imagine a leaking RMS is only going to leave a puddle in your garage...unless the weeping is coming outta the transmission and flinging backwards onto some parts of the exhaust.

Unless you have no cats, your exhaust shouldn't smell different than any other car.
Well at a minimum, i am happy this is very well documented at BMW, could help me with a good will repair later down the road.

Unfortunately, i'm not as mechanically inclined to start tearing this thing up myself as you are!

Thanks for the help, all good info
I know I'm 2 months late, but I had the same thing happen. Burning smell and all. I took it in and there was an oil leak so the dealer replaced the vac pump.. as my car was in the shop I payed epoxy in my garage nice and pretty.... then I pick her up and big bill of coarse then went home and the next morning .. more damn oil... the tech says oh it's coming from the valve cover 1500-2000$ to do..... I said uuummmm no!!! I don't call a repair man to fix my broken fridge then pay them again because they goose chased a problem. Well all said and done they replaced vacuum pump($2285) oil return cover($3360) and they did the valve cover on there dime not including military discount...
Appreciate 0