07-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #81
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
What I think is comical is that the Mustang gained weight (the 87lbs is for the GT with the manual) and with GM switching the Camaro over to the ATS platform, it's set to lose significant weight. So we may end up with the Camaro actually weighing LESS than the new Mustang.

I'm sure GM is watching this while they're developing the new car. If the Camaro with the V8 uses the LT1, it should make about 445 - 450hp (must protect the Stingray) and it comes in around 3,600lbs it'll be a pretty quick car. Most articles I've read had the ATS as having the best chassis of any of the cars tested, so there is a stellar basis to start from.

Still, I'm not feeling the new Mustang. I think it looks too much like what a Honda Accord coupe would look like if it were RWD.
Literally zero confirmation on the Chevrolet losing weight - let alone a significant amount like that. All rumors, just like the Mustang's completely unfounded rumor that it was set to lose 400lbs and 1.5 feet in length.

The Alpha platform is shared by the ATS and CTS, and latest rumors are talking about the Camaro sharing the CTS wheelbase. It would be an astronomical feat of engineering if the Camaro lost 400lbs while maintaining its current size and met updated crash standards. It would also be impressive if a V8 Camaro riding on the Alpha CTS's wheelbase, with a wider track, a V8, and upsized running gear, came close to the CTS's 3700-3800 pound curb weight.

The Mustang retained similar dimensions, is about 25% stiffer, has upsized running gear, and meets updated crash standards (meaning four additional airbags compared to the outgoing S197). Quite frankly, it's amazing that it only gained 87 pounds from V8 to V8.
Appreciate 0