View Single Post
      06-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #28
Brooklyn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Slow as a turtle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
German car companies are passionate about cars, in contrast US car companies are passionate about money. Today US auto industry is being dismantled in the most disrespectful way into small parts and being sold off at dirt cheap prices.

The point I am trying to make, is that if you let money become the priority in life it is only a matter of time before you have nothing to offer.

I am sure this hideous piece of machinery will bring a descent amount of profit to the company, I mean why wouldn't it? There are plenty of one-uppers that would love to get it just to impress their next door neighbor. What it is going to take away from BMW is the meaning of the letter ///M. Soon enough that letter will represent nothing more than a trim... you know much like the R/T symbol on Chryslers.

In auto industry reputation takes decades to build and only years to tarnish. BMW is still riding on their Motorsport Division reputation from the 70s and 80s. So while the actual # of true BMW gear heads right now is small, those are the folks leading the wave. When they leave the brand it will turn into nothing but a company building glorified Civics for the upper middle class.

...but then again... to each his own. Wanna know what ///M used to stand for? come visit me, I'll take you for a spin in the greatest ///M ever built.

I understand where your coming from but ///M has always stood for ///Money. Car companies are big business, the ///M division dumped the 1 series after 3 years because it wasnt making any money, even though it was a brilliant car. The only reason BMW's racing division started producing M cars for the public market was money. Come to Long Island and you will see that your fear of BMW's becoming glorified civics for the upper middle class is already the truth. The fact is, the ///M division will continue to produce brilliant performance cars, and people will continue to buy them. Dont fool yourself into thinking that BMW's M division was ever about anything other than money. The M cars have never been an exercise in engineering like the Bugatti Veyron, on which VW takes a massive loss. They have always been about producing extremely well made performance cars and making a profit for BMW.

By the way, while we may not agree on the future, or the past, of the M division, I do agree that your E30 M3 represents the pinnicle of the M-car and the only M-car with a true racing pedigree.