View Single Post
      04-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
rios0311
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid

I don't know how I missed the the rest of the discussion I started. Latorre, I'll get to your question right after I address a previous question.

I got the spacers purely for the looks of it. I've never liked the way wheels look hiding behind fenders. I like them flush with the fender or protruding slightly. Just a personal preference.

And yes, this vehicle will definitely drag to a near stop once you remove your foot from the gas pedal. However, if you move the shift lever to the left (sport mode), the vehicle takes on a different character. The drag completely goes away and the throttle becomes extremely sensitive. You can definitely feel the turbos at work. I'm just not sure what effect being in sport mode has on fuel consumption - during normal freeway driving.

Latorre, first of all, you shouldn't be paying too much over $40k for that car with that mileage. I saw two on ebay with similar mileage going for $39,995. I paid about $54k for mine last year with under 13k miles on the odometer. 2nd, get the VIN and go to your local BMW dealer and see if they will provide you with the vehicles service history. Try to find out if it was a buyback or a Trade Assist vehicle. Mine was a Trade Assist vehicle. Based on its service history its problems focused around the VANOS system. I think (and hope) the last repair did the trick because I've never had any issues with the car.

Things to keep in mind: It's a hybrid; the steering is electric, the brake pedal is electric, the air conditioner is probably electric and who knows what else. Remember, a lot of these systems must continue to run even when the engine isn't. The transmission is a CVT, so you'll experience something different when the vehicle shifts. It's like a smooth, near seamless, acceleration throughout all the gears. No shift shock in between, so the shifting does not feel as sporty... but it does have paddle shifters. However, the vehicle is very fast. When you floor it the electric motor kicks in to augment the engine and the turbos. It pulls very nicely. Read the warranty closely; Hybrids that were sold, leased or are registered in certain states have a 7 year warranty on certain components related to the hybrid system.

Tires! The hybrid battery takes up the space where the spare tire would normally be stored. So there is no spare. Your only [safe] option is runflat tires. They're freaking expensive and the vehicle will eat a set pretty much on a yearly basis. I'm thinking of risking it and swapping out the runflats for regular tires. If I find a space saver spare, I might buy it to take along on long trips.

Thos are the things I can think of to keep in mind. Other than that, it is a very good car. I really like mine a lot. The hybrid system works very well and the car comes loaded with options. Oh, and cruising along at 40 mph on battery power is pretty cool. You have to have a light foot to get it up to that speed, but it's easy to do. If you're willing to make a few tradeoffs, you'll get a great car at a good discount.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0