02-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #37
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab View Post
Well, first of all, I didn't mean to offend anyone by my statements so please don't take it personal. However, I respect constructive criticism. I personally have seen very few 1ers on the road but tons of x5s and x3s. The problem most people I know that drive BMW have with the 1 is 1) its size and 2) it's aesthetics. They would rather bite the bullet and pay 5 grand more for a 3 series. Another example would be the M/Z4M. It didn't do that well either compared to the m3/m6. I can imagine an M version of the 1 would be one fast little bugger though. I guess people need a happy middle ground and the m3 and m6 have fulfilled that role.
Fully agree with you. And I didn't take it personally and I wasn't trying to step on anybody's toes either

Looking at the figures of the 135, it already is a fast little bugger!
Just imagine what M could do with it... However I don't think it will ever happen (at least not in the near future anyway)!

I think some people (namely the M5 and M6 crowd) would be pretty peeved if M would bring out a 1 series M version. This is purely looking at the performance vs. price tag issue between those models.

Now the X5M and X6M talk to a different crowd compared to the M3/M5/M6 and whatever else M versions out there. I'm sure that the M division had a LONG hard look at the sales figures of Mercedes and Porsche when it comes to high performance SUVs and figured that this is money they are letting the competition have. I can understand the point of the 'M purists' out there, however, the M division is after all a business and if your bottom line shrinks (especially in the current economic climate we are in), then you have to look at what you need to do to change this or possibly even to survive.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0