04-10-2016, 04:30 PM   #1
ulis11
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i and 2011 X5 50i

N63 Intake Cleaning

Hi,

This may have been shared before, but I wanted to share my brief experience with attempting to use Sea Foam to clean the N63 intake. I know that the intake is torturously difficult to get to without removing the engine so I did the best that $7 ($13 for both sides) can do to clean this intake.

My approach is to use short tubing attached to the PCV vacuum line just under the engine cover with a "Y" aspirator. The "Y" fitting introduces a huge number of bubbles into the Sea Foam that seems to help distribute the solvent around the manifold and valves. One end has a cone-like fitting that fits nicely into the vacuum hose and the other end is just sitting in the Sea Foam Bottle.

I used one bottle per side.

Here is my video of applying Sea Foam and the resulting exhaust cloud. Note that it is kinda a windy day so the exhaust doesn't completely obscure the video.

The results..

I think it does something...? I know that most of the smoke is actually the Sea Foam getting sucked into the cylinders. The blue smoke at some points suggests that maybe some carbon deposits are dissolved.

I think for best results:

- Use 1 bottle per side
- Apply approximately at oil change interval (takes about 45 minutes to do the entire procedure on both sides)
- Have the engine warm before starting
- Higher revs seem to be more effective for shaking off carbon from the cylinder head and valves
- Ensure your valve seals are in good order

Disclaimer: I didn't break your engine if you try this.

-Brad
Appreciate 0