View Single Post
      03-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Test drove Tesla, seriously thinking of switching

So recently I test drove the Tesla Models S, and I am seriously thinking of switching. First of all, I want to provide some background. I currently have a 2014 535i Msport, which I got last summer, after owning a 2013 Lexus GS Fsport for 1.5 years. I switched because the Lexus had really weak low-end torque due to being NA. So I tested numerous cars, including 550i (felt too heavy while turning), S6 (somehow didn’t end up with it), Macan S (didn’t work out because ordering took way too long), and ended up in a 535 due to an amazing deal that popped up. Then fast forward half a year, and I am shopping again… this time because wife’s lease will soon be due so we can get a different car. I have always had what I would consider an illogical yearning for the M3/4 although many had told me that I probably wouldn’t like them because I hate revving any car beyond 4k rpm. Anyways, I decided that I just had to try it to determine it once and for all, so I went a few days ago and did a pretty long test drive of the M4. Basically the result is… I liked the car whenever I was not accelerating because accelerating was too loud… Although the acceleration felt great, but the noise was just too annoying (sorry, I psychologically feel cars sound tired and exhausted whenever engines rev too high and are too loud, and it makes me annoyed).

From these experiences, I know I want a car with very good low-end torque, and not too loud. Anyways, almost as a tourism item (because I never considered Tesla before), I booked a Tesla test drive on the same day as the M4. I had been a Tesla skeptic over the years and had always thought that it ll likely not succeed. However after driving the Tesla, my entire perception of the automobile changed. I came out the store thinking that this is the future of the automobile. I only test drove the regular 85, but in every factor that matters to me, the car was superior to every car I have driven over the past year. The interior, tho not top quality like an Audi A8 or Mercedes S class, was very techy feeling, particularly with the center screen and the new autopilot features. However the most important factors were in the driving experience. Again, this is only the regular 85 on regular suspension, but I felt the suspension was on par with BMW Sedans and Porsche Panamera. The instant torque was exhilarating… I went on a curved off-ramp and an on-ramp at very fast acceleration and speed, and I had a big smile on my face the entire test drive. I had never experienced that, not even on the M4, as the annoying noise just took away any positive feeling I had accelerating the car. The Tesla however, was just sublime. The acceleration, stability, sporty steering, and also lack of noise, were in combination the most exhilarating driving experience I have ever had.

Therefore, I am seriously thinking of switching... Will try to cool down for a few days, as to not make a rush decision.
Appreciate 0