View Single Post
      03-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #43
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

A few weeks ago, I took the truck into the BMW dealer just before the Factory warranty expiration for :
- the above battery suspicions
- oil change (had not hit mileage but had been over a year)
- minor corrosion on rear wheel centers
- asked about the paint sandblasting issue on rear rockers
- Final inspection for anything prior to factory warranty expiring

They:
- Tested and Replaced Battery with same type/size (and coded to car)
- Oil / filter change
- replaced all wiper blades
- denied any coverage on the wheel corrosion (I knew this was a long shot)
- They claimed they couldn't see any paint 'damage' but did some buffing on at least one side. I can't say it looks any different.
- no other issues found

I will take a voltage reading on the new battery soon and see how it differs from the old one. I have however seen a variation on the voltage reading on my Jebsen cigarette lighter voltage monitor... It seems to ramp up from a lower initial voltage when I first start the car (starts in 10v range now), and ramp up slower (longer than a few seconds) and its hard to be sure but seems to not always read as high once topped out as it did on the old battery. Still hits 14v but doesn't seem to stay there as steadily, dips down more than before during driving.
So possibly it is charging it differently since it was coded for the new battery.
Does anyone know what the expected charging voltage differences are old vs new battery? Does it make sense that it isn't pushing as much voltage to a newer fresher battery?

I am thinking of just pulling that voltage monitor out, it gives me more questions than answers. Especially with the new battery installed, I don't feel like I need to track it at all really.

No other issues with vehicle. However it SEEMS like the throttle response is slightly softer lately. Anyone heard of any new programming/tuning changes that might account for this?
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star
Appreciate 0