xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Have you used them much?

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great aesthetically and I might get them for that reason. In most case the step, or in this case, running board, is an intermediate distance between the ground and the floor level of the car. Or in the case of a rig with an elevated seat it might be higher.

An example: My wife's Lincoln Navigator. The step is in between the ground and the floor board. When you open the door and lean out it's the natural height to step down.

I'm 6'-1" tall and what I found with the x6, is the running boards are too high. They are about the same height as the floor board of the x6 itself, so instead of stepping down, I stepped sideways. That tended to be awkward for me, so instead of using the running board as a step, I had to step out past directly on the ground which was a big reach.

Maybe if were shorter.
+1

I had the exact same experience with the X6 running boards and hence had asked to have them removed from my order.

If they would be lower (as you said an intermediate step), then MAYBE they would make sense and would come in handy, but because of the location, they are useless and way to high to be useful as a step. The other issue that makes them useless on the X6 is the shape of the door opening due to the slope of the roof. Again, if the running boards would be lower this wouldn't be an issue.

I'd still say take them off if you can, you'll be happier in the long run
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0