03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
mrpcar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Garage List
I own a 2006 Cayenne S and a 2012 X5M.

Here is my $0.02, the Cayenne feels a lot more nimble still retains somewhat of the 911 sports car blood line, whereas the X5 feels more like a SUV.

The transmission gear ratio allows the Cayenne to take off very fast off the line, makes you feel the car is lighter but it's not.

No question with the handling, handles equally well like my X5M.

Porsche transmission is more predictable, the button shifter on the steering wheel reacts faster than the X5's paddle shifter on both up shift and down shift.

Gas mileage is about the same.

My wife drove both and prefers the X5M, well no shit I don't blame her.

Porsche is extremely cheap with the added option, everything is a la cart. Whereas the BMW have a lot of standard features. So ergonomics I would have to go with BMW, easier to fold the rear seat. However the Cayenne does offer more trunk space, BMW sacrificed the truck space to allow more rear passenger leg room.

No point talk about engine performance since they are not in the same category. But the Porsche V8 is not as smooth as BMW's V8.

Personally I think the X5 looks better, still can't get used to looking at a Porsche in a SUV form.

We've been discussing selling the Cayenne, keeping the X5M. The Cayenne is just parked not being used, since my wife only drive the Prius now and loves it. (She hates to go to the gas station)
Appreciate 0