View Single Post
      04-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latorre View Post
What's up guys! I am hindering on a First-World Problem and could use your educated advise.

I am currently in the market for an X6 my options are as follows.

Both trucks have 35,000 miles on them and are the same price.

1) Dealer Certified Pre-Owned: 2011 BMW X6 35i w/ 20" Sport Package, 20-way seats but no Aluminum side steps, no heads-up display and no vented AC seats

2) Private Seller (2nd Owner) 2010 BMW X6 ActiveHybrid w/ upgraded 19" all-season's and FULLY LOADED.

Which way should I go. They get similar MPG and either way 85% of my driving is in town or commuting 62 miles round trip to NYC.

Thanks Everyone, this is my first post and look forward to hearing back.

-Latorre
Welcome Latorre!

I think it's fair to say your choice depends on your priorities. From what I gather, the hybrid does have the V8, but is hobbled by the much increased weight, such that I would expect the handling a magnitude worse than the V8, which in turn is worse than the I6, especially considering the 35i you're looking at has the Sport Package. Oh, and I believe the hybrid loses the Dynamic Performance Control (aka torque vectoring) which is the "secret sauce" that allows the X6 to handle like a much smaller, lighter car.

If you don't anticipate throwing the beast around a winding road, you'd probably be fine, but one of the things I personally find most enjoyable about my 35i is going on drives on twisty roads with sportier cars and seeing surprised looks on the owners' faces. Yeah, it has a fat ass. Yeah, that fat ass looks deceptively slow and can still keep up with you. Kinda reminds me of me.

Also, if you're into tuning at all, the 35i engine has a wide range of available tunes. Not sure what if anything is out there for the hybrid. With my Dinan Stage 2, the straight-line gap between my car and the stock V8 is narrowed considerably, plus I have the theoretical advantage of better handling and better mileage. It's a highly compelling combo.

As one final side note, I have been eagerly awaiting the announcement of the X4, which finally came last week. If you don't need the size of the X6, you might want to check that out.

Good luck, and looking forward to writing a congratulatory post!

Last edited by Rygel XXV; 04-08-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Appreciate 0