HalP
2011 X5M Alpine White
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Project complete!

I have finally completed installing an aluminum X6M "power dome/power bulge" hood on my 2011 X5M!

For those looking to do this mod to their X5M, here is a complete part list:

Description: BMW P/N
Power bulge X6M facelift aluminum hood: 41617275285
Nozzle Array Window: 61667275175
Stop buffer (qty. 2): 51237265310
Under hood sound insulation: 51487216990
Plastic Rivet (qty. 32) 51481915964

(PLEASE NOTE: The list of parts above is comprehensive for this project on a 2011 X5M with a build date of 04/10. I cannot guarantee this on earlier or later year models.)

I was able to re-use the hood mounting hardware from my previous stock hood with the exception of the stop buffers and sound insulation. If you try to remove existing stop buffers, the embedded tabs brake off inside the old hood and they become un-usable. The sound insulation from a standard X5 or X6 or M will not work! The only sound insulation that will work is from the X6 Hybrid (part number reflected above). Below is a pic of the new sound insulation after install:

Also of note is that the new Nozzle Array Window has three nozzles as compared to the two nozzles on the original hood, so washer fluid is more evenly dispersed on the windshield with the new setup.

One last point, when I ordered the Nozzle Array Window, for some reason BMW tried to include several hundred dollars worth of extra parts their system said were necessary to complete the swap. THEY AREN'T NEEDED! The Nozzle Array Window plugged directly up to my existing harness and connectors and no other parts were necessary.

Before:

After:

With the right part numbers and a good body/paint shop, this is a great project to undertake. It really transforms the look of the vehicle from both the outside and the inside!

Thanks to everyone who has followed this project, and all the great questions and positive comments! Keep on mod'n!

On a related note, anyone need a stock 2011 X5M Alpine White hood?

Last edited by HalP; 08-26-2014 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 1