08-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #79
XRatedM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' X5M - 19' VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by argento View Post
That is a research intensive project, at least for my understanding. Having the S752A is a great start and probably sounded amazing new...However one critical find that I think is very relevant is that the capacitors/filters in our audio systems degrade over time. I ordered a used OEM crossover on ebay and measured the capacitance and it was sky high. This was true of inline filter/capacitors as well. This effectively moves the crossover points and the audio is no longer matched to the speakers. It takes years, but our cars aren't getting newer.

Given that a new speaker system with it's own crossovers and/or filters is usually a win. I've not heard the AlphaOnes.

I upgraded the center dash with B&W (midrange and tweeter w/filter) and it's a tangible improvement over the oem S752A coaxial in the center dash. With it installed you can tangibly hear the improvement of the center dash sound over the doors. For many, doing this alone is a nice little improvement, IMO. I also upgraded the DPillars to B&W.

But I kept going...now I have all new custom matched crossovers to B&W mids and tweets. Suspension, Exhaust, and Brake work have budget priority. But I recently bought the equipment for the pigtails (oem equivalent MQS contact pins and bushings, UP-OCC wiring, oem connectors, etc.)...aren't you glad you asked??? LOL

HEY, did you check your ground straps near the exhaust since you were back there? Mine were already frosted/oxidized...going to swap them out preventive maint...
I actually am glad that I asked, I was looking to throw $1500 on AlphaOne setup (2 subs, 7 midrange and 7 tweeters) but I'd look into the capacitors - sound right now is worse than my 330i H&K system. So either subwoofer upgrade or the whole thing.

Mine was a Chicago daily driver, so it's seen a lot of salt and snow - a lot of surface rust - I plan on getting a treatment done after I have sorted all the other little issues. Where are ground straps? I didn't notice any while looking around.

I know you haven't had to do anything to the turbos but I received rebuilt one with a leather like gasket for oil return line and the OEMs one I bought are metal, so I'm not sure which ones better between the two.
Appreciate 0