OshBaKosh
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyceric03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
Don't think I've heard of having to take the engine out to work on a leak. What did he quote you on that?
I might have misheard actually perhaps he meant removal of the transmission for a rear back plate of the engine or something. I'll clarify before anything as I told him I'll bring the car back when I have time to do. Though I did ask him to ballpark me a price for that as well as the coolant pipe/valley pan leaks (might as well) intially he said ~$4,500 though Im sure might as well do valve stems (seeing how thats supposed to be an issue on the N62 eventually)

Was just thinking what else can he do all at once since he said I'd have to leave the car for 7-8 days with him.
Does the heater work? I had a similar issue. Now you don't have to drop engine to change valley pan. It's a pain but I did it in my garage. Thought that was the issue. I've still a coolant leak. Changed hoses and tank. Didn't fix still leaking. Changed a simple Y connector by the valley pan, not the problem. I noticed that the leak would happen when the heater was on. Eureka, the heater Valve was faulty. Quick change and fixed. I have an 09 x5, apparently the heating system uses the hot coolant to heat the car. The heater valve has a small overflow point and when the valve get stuck it leaks fluid through the overflow point and out the back of the engine. Ended up spend a few hundred and a couple of days and all good. Quote is too high and there is another need to drop engine or transmission to fix this problem unless it is something deeper but I would suggest the small stuff first. I ended up spend $300 and 3 afternoons/evenings and all good. FYI, valley pan replacement is a bitch but can totally be done from above.
Appreciate 0