View Single Post
      06-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #12
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I wouldn’t recommend removing the “back engine cover and weather stripping” if you mean the plastic engine partition. They serve a purpose to keep the rain out of the engine bay. The water does over time damage injectors and electrical components as well as corrode the engine bolts. Unless you plan to never drive it in the rain. I cant say if it lowers under hood temps a meaningful amount as I don’t recall anyone doing before and after measurements. Just some anecdotal reports. Unlike some of the other mods like hood louvres.
I spent many hours testing what made a difference, the back partition is appears to be mainly for sound and engine bay odor suppression, the plastic rain gutters even with 1/2" trimmed off the top still keeps nearly all of the rain off the engine. What little does make it is quickly evaporated off.

I also used wireless thermal probes to conduct highway, city, and parked temps. I recorded a 20 degree drop on average in city driving, highway would run cooler partition-less much sooner, but the biggest difference is actually in parked temps. It shaves 30-40 degrees depending on the location in the engine compartment. When I conducted the tests it was 116 out. With the partitions in place and the engine bay reached 220-240 degrees after 15min parked and stayed in that range for hours. With the back partition removed and the gutters trimmed, peak temps were 167-190 degrees in the engine compartment. It also cooled down to ambient temps on average 3 hours earlier then with the partitions. This is when most of the high temp oxidative damage to all the plastic and rubber bits under the hood occurs.

It does have its downsides, there will be more dust and dirt allowed into the engine compartment, you will hear your injectors clicking away (as well as sweet turbo noises!) and I do not know how snow would effect it as being in Phoenix, I have only seen pictures of that white stuff. But for us desert dwellers where heat is the number one enemy of our cars and trucks, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 06-24-2021 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 4