View Single Post
      10-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
14.4volts
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M, 2006 X5, '96 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly42 View Post
Congrats on your X5M. I've had mine for a few months now and have been replacing fluids and other items. While doing the plugs I suggest replacing the coils at the same time. If you're looking for longevity, as myself, heat is the enemy. Try to find ways to contain the heat...heat shields, turbo blankets, hose sleeves, etc... Emissions and performance don't really go together so I suggest having an oil catch can.
Yeah the heat! I've been studying that a bit.
Haven't done much in the way of scheming on how or where I'll start, read some treads on blankets etc. next time I pull of the cover I'll start taking some notes and see what I can build.
I saw your comments on the catch can thread, wondering how hard it would be to modifying part of the system from a 63tu...
I really don't want to remember to empty my catch can every month 😩

I am a little bummed that the PO didn't replace all the coil packs when at the dealer, more bummed that the dealer only replaced the plugs for the coil packs that were replaced. Not sure what logic was behind that, I do know that all the plugs were replaced at 32,000 miles. As far as BMW recommended replacment that would mean I have about 10,000 miles left on them.
Appreciate 0