View Single Post
      06-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #8
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Who cares???? Until somebody puts and X5M BADGE ON A NON-X5M AND TRIES TO PASS IT OFF AS AN X5M INSTEAD OF A 5.0 OR A 35i, it's a non-issue (...and really it's only an issue to the CASUAL OBSERVER who has a problem with it; the owner of the vehicle shouldn't really care what anybody else thinks). Cosmetics are just that, cosmetics.

..and for arguments sake, an M135i doesn't have an M motor either, but it sure comes with an ///M badge on the back.
It might not be an issue to the OP, but anyone who knows what a real X5M is will be snickering. Why do manufactures not have all X5s look the same if the differentiation doesn't matter? BMW doesn't say that the M135 is an M car, it simply has some M parts.

If you see an X5 with an X5M bumper, the assumption is that it must be an X5M with an M motor, M brakes and the whole rest of other parts. Its not just an issue of cosmetics.

To use an analogy you will understand, lets stick a taxi sign on the top of your car and see what happens, or how about putting on police signs. After all, those are parts that are only found on a Taxi, or a police car, similar to how an X5M bumper is only found on an X5M

You claim that its only an issue when someone puts on the X5M badge on a non X5M, putting on the front bumper is the exact same thing. It would be obvious to anyone looking at a debadged X5M that its still an X5M. Why, because of the front and rear bumpers, the brakes the quad exhausts etc

If you don't think that there is a certain implied message with signage or body parts, then marketing is lost on you. Sure the OP shouldn't care what other people think, but what other people will think is that the OP is poser in a vehicle that looks like the genuine thing, but isn't. If he is cool with that, then by all means, please proceed.

Last edited by blue dragon; 06-28-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0