05-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #15
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I wonder how they are doing with the new 750 someone lent them, maybe it's not so much this model but that BMW has coded the new cars to make this a lot harder to do.
Well considering how much more complicated these engines are compared to previous generation engines and the fact that BMW obviously doesn't like or want anybody else fiddling with the engine electronics, I am not surprised that it takes them this long to get this sorted out. I'm sure BMW will do everything in their power to discourage after market modding companies to 're-map' the engine controllers.

As foofitr stated, I wouldn't be surprised that a lot of companies that are offering engine power upgrades via re-maping will eventually be unable to do this for any future engines. There may be a few that will succeed in getting past whatever roadblocks BMW is trying to put up, but in the long run, I can see that BMW will put a stop to it.

Even those that use boosters that are connected in-line with some of the engine electronics will eventually be detected by the engine electronics. Every engine controller generation is getting smarter and more complicated...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0