07-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw M3 View Post
I doubt this will be a high volume or even long lived vehicle for Acura. It's a nice halo car to get some press and enthusiast attention (think JDM crowd) just like Lexus did with the LFA which has gone on to inspire their F line. But Acura doesn't have any history as a performance/enthusiast brand so I doubt that's in the goal. If you search Dupont Registry, you can find one for $400k.... for a Toyota!

I expect the same to hold true for the NSX - here for now, gone tomorrow. Great engineering experiment. Anyone can achieve success in an experiment but keep it going for 30-40 years and be considered the "standard bearer" for a category (a la BMW, Porsche), that's truly amazing.
Honda has way, way, way too much invested in the NSX-only PMC in Ohio for the car to be "here for now, gone tomorrow." The facility has 12 active patents for PMC-specific manufacturing techniques alone, and renovations to transform it from a logistics hub to a small-volume plant approached $100 million.

What comes out of there may not always be badged an Acura NSX ... but the facility will be building cutting-edge high-performance vehicles for several decades.
Appreciate 3