View Single Post
      11-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
richb811
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by petfred View Post
Hi everyone,

First of all, very nice to join this forum and I found it very informative and everyones posts help me build out my X6M.

With that said, I have a 2011 X6M and had the H&R springs installed.. Lowered as low as it would go. I am running on OEM 20's with winter tires.

Driving on the highway is fine, but as soon as I get to any bumpy roads and especially in San Francisco with non smooth roads I find the ride to be very very harsh.

The front is fine but the rear is very stiff and makes a lot of noise and a little clunking going on back there. Is this normal for this type of SUV?

I have owned Porsche Cayennes GTS and Turbos in the past and slammed them and the ride was not as stiff as what I'm currently experience.

So my question is " is this normal? or could it be a bad install?

Thank you!
Fred
Fred

Clunking isn't normal. Even lowered. It could be something is moving around back there from an improperly installed spring set, or it could be that the springs are clunking against eachother under full load. Some people find it useful to use some PVC tubing to fit between the narrowest part of the spring coils to help alleviate some of that issue.

Clunking could also be indicative of a bushing failure. Whatever it is, something is moving around that shouldn't be.

The ride is going to be a little harsher if you just did springs and not shocks (Tough sledding with the X6M) because the OEM shocks are designed to handle the ride height and spring rates of the stock Springs. You may find it better upgrading to a Coilover setup which have shocks that are better suited to the lowered springs, and you won't find yourself bottoming out the suspension as much.

Appreciate 0