09-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #22
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbagejunk View Post
Wouldn't the vents on the top make the air pass through the kidney grills, then through engine compartment then come out on top through the vents thus increasing airflow in the top part of the engine compartment?
Not unless they had a completely different duct layout under the hood of those cars with the two grills at the top of the hood near the windshield.

Take a look at the above picture I had posted in my last post. You can clearly see the 'upside down shaped V' air dam with the black soft rubber lip on top. This damn prevents any air "flow through" from the front kidney grills, over the engine and out over the windshield. This area is used as the fresh air intake for the passenger compartment. It prevents rain, snow and other stuff from getting into the fresh air intake while you are driving.

As Suzie's Dad said: 'But isn't that bit just in front of the windshield a high-pressure area? That's why they put the air intakes there for the passenger compartment. Which means that at speed air would be forced IN through those vents, even though it would rise out at rest.'

So those grills in those pictures palbay posted are either just for looks and are none functional or the under the hood passenger compartment air intake originally had a completely different shape. Otherwise they would had to be located half way down the hood to be in front of the air damn or they would have had to put a single one in the middle of the hood bear the windshield.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0