06-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmlcrm View Post
Dunno if I'm mistaken or this has been mentioned before but when the previous X5 was launched in 4.8is guise, didnt the M division say that they will assist in the design and modification of the car but building an M model of the X5 is against what the M division stands for? Something like they aim and developing road going sports cars and dont want to dilute the M blood line like Merc did with building an AMG M Class? I could be wrong but think I read that somewhere...
Yeah thats pretty right. I used to have a x5 4.8iS and it was plenty badass to remind me of the rawness in a e46 m3 (best friend had it). The 4.8iS's engine was tuned by Alpina and had a aggressive ass exhaust note. Along with it came with the same odometer seen on a e46 m3, lower ride height, 20x 305's in the rear, huuuge brakes, STIFF ass suspension, and pretty good gas mileage (better than my friends 3.0 and my moms 4.4i)- got about 16 mpg consistently and 18-19 on far drives. kept it till it hit 115 thousand miles.. great car.