View Single Post
      09-08-2015, 07:47 PM   #58
PAX5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmizr View Post
I haven't seen a definitive answer on which vehicles are affected, but I seem to remember something about it being addressed for the 2012 MY. (my SA may have mentioned this verbally to me, I just can't recall exactly)
I just checked my 2012 VIN on the BMW recall (see previous page on this thread for link) and it stated No Outstanding Recalls for this vehicle. And I do not believe mine has been replaced. Not sure if just an inspection counts as them having performed the work though.
You need to crawl under the car and look for this part number on a white sticker on the drives shaft: 26207597649.

If you have that number, your drive shaft is DOOMED! Insist on having it replaced!! Don't leave the dealership (or just leave the car behind and walk away to make a point).

I had mine checked today (mine is a MY 2012 with only 26K mi!) and I had that p/n ... my tech said he found "bearing grease" splatters around the front ball-joint area and against the transmission housing ... a STRONG indication that the u-joint is loosing its lubrication and failure is imminent. Mine is being replaced.