09-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
NRG
Lieutenant Colonel
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Jones
Thanks for your imput very informative. The trucks we have get us off the mountain in 2 foot of snow with no difficulty. As to the next purchase it will be basically my car only designed for my needs/physical limitations so hubby is letting me pick. I did a test drive yesterday with son. Drove the X Drive35i M sport package, X3 Drive 35i premium & x5 xDrive35i Premium. I have to say I was "Blown away" with the ride. And trust me at my age nothing much impresses me anymore.
Sort of reminded me of my (RX7 & Trans Am GTA days 0-60 in 5 seconds) And the seat adjustments was a big plus being able to adjust the seat exactly where I need it under my knees it helps with the nerve pain in the legs. Foot rest nice touch. Comfort for the placement of arms to rest were just right. Loved the lumbar support and wings folding in making it a secure fit and memory button for us mentally challenged, and fact they were heated for winter, great for arthritic conditions (our truck seats in the Laramie are heated). On the test drive, the engine stopping at the red light threw me I thought I had broke it *_*
Even the steering wheel heated again us old ladies gotta love it. I did not see any "visual blind spots" Getting into vehicle with knee replacements, I'm 5'6 so I just slid in, with no need to step up or down putting unnecessary stress on my joints. Now with the parking camera, great option since I have a whip lash, and 2 cervical discs out of place but I did not seem to trust the camera I still wanted to look. I found the shift knob a little confusing, sort of whimpy looking would have liked a beefed up leather one
The car had a lot of pep, quick response time, steering felt tight on highway, but loved the automatic adjustment for parking (nice since I have a right crushed shoulder with nerve entrapment). I could see whipping it around the Blue Ridge Parkway for fun, sort of like ride it on rails. Another plus was the back hatch door, has automatic opening, and can be stopped at different degrees (audi did not). And no big drop down door in the way. Overall I don't think I need the size the x5 offers. I definitely ruled the M sport package out due to the seats and different ride/suspension configuration although I loved the sportier look. (felt stiffer). Still trying to come to grip with the "skinny tires/wheels. I'm so use to the big 20" tires or Micky Thompson style.
My concern was "saftey issues" since being nearly decimated in a semi truck/auto collision. But noticed they have 5 star ratings across the board. As for resale, I would not be selling it. I drive under 5K a year. Being age 61 I generally keep a vehicle 10 years then pass it down to the kids, or grandkids. I did a comparison/test drives with other AWD/4wd. So far have ruled out: Audi's line, Lexus (which is what my son has right now) Chevy makes, despite GM discount I don't like anything their making now. Ruled out Subaru Outback, Grand Cherokee Overland, Ford Explorer, Dodge Citadel, Range Rover, Hummer, Buick Enclave, Tahoe, Yukon, but I did really get a hankering to slip into a Sport Ram Truck, love the body style and trim. Just can't justify owing 3 trucks.
Sons discount from BMW work up came to this. I could get an X3 35XDdr35i with building to my specifications it came to $54,495.00 after they applied his discount total was $46,680.00 and tag & tax. I think with the savings I should probably get an extended warranty. So at this point it has now came down to do I get the x3 (this would be my first suv/awd in my whole life. Or do I opt instead for BMW x6 luxury sedan(as in the past I use to drive cadilacs/ lincolns) I would still have room for the teenage grandkids. I suppose at this stage in my life and driving winding down, I'm leaning to what my kids would like when I'm done with it. But if the x6 would be a better smoother ride with a bigger wheel base I may need to consider that too. I did a work up on an x6 with basically the same options I would need and the total cost was very close out the door after BMW discount. But I think it sits lower to the ground, and going up 1 mile rough gravel road to the cabin it might drag/rocks pit the side etc.
I'm at my sons in Greenville SC right now going in the morning to test drive again. Hubby coming down from Asheville to test drive also. Then take the tour of the BMW plant. May need to look more into the diesel. We have a spare Customized Van so large 4wd suv's are out. Thanks guys for your help will keep posted on what I decide. BIG DECISION TO MAKE Oh I like the Vermillion red/oyster leather interior/waveline configuration any thoughts?
Wow, definitely unexpected. You should go diesel then with comfort seats and running boards.

Retired: 2005 N52 E90 330i Sport 6AT
Retired: 2007 N54 E92 335i Sport 6AT

Current: 2012 M57 E70 X5 xDrive35D
Appreciate 0