View Single Post
      08-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
GKyri
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 30D

We dont have a lot of monster trucks in Australia and we are happier for it. I can imagine that they would offer a softer ride than an X5. Read the responses on this forum on the reliability of the Diesel - it's all good news. Its definitely a high riding car rather than a truck (we would never refer to it as a truck here).

The only issue that I can think of for you is that the car is not that easy to step into. I have to assist my elderly mother to step into the car and this is made worse by the sports seats in the car (order the comfort seats instead). I couldn't imagine that the American trucks would be any better in this regard.

If you don't go for an X5 then I recommend a 3.0D BMW X3 for you. Get one with standard wheels and as high profile tyres as you can. This will aid ride comfort and the lower overall height will be beneficial for stepping in. There is more than enough torque in the 3.0 diesel to take you up any mountain.

The BMW runflats tires will give you peace of mind ensuring that you are never stuck on the side of the road.
Appreciate 0