View Single Post
      01-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #8
Riggi24
Registered
Rep
Drives: 10' X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
I just installed a set of Pirelli Winter Carving run flats as well. 315's and 275's. I paid the extra $15.00 per tire and had the good folks at TireRack install the carbide metal studs. Just had a week of the worst roads I've seen in Canada for a long time. (Freezing rain followed by 2 ft of snow, and a city with a crappy snow removal budget) The traction from the studded Pirelli's is almost too good. I could stop in about a 1/4 of the distance it would take anybody else. I almost got rear ended a dozen times.
The downside is now that the main roads are clear and dry, the studs make a hell of a lot of noise, but I'm happy to turn up the radio until April.
Glacier sounds like you & Devimik are both very happy with the performance & ability of the P. Winter Carving tires. I am in the middle ground of leaving my 214 staggered set up on with with winter rubber or swapping out to a 18 or 19.

All these forums have mixed reviews about keeping the 20s on…some who have done it seem very pleased with the winter performance & others would never think of it. Obviously going with an OEM 18 or 19 and a winter tire you will always be just fine….just a matter of having a complete separate "dedicated winter wheel set"

You mentioned you had the studs installed & the tires provided excellent traction even with the staggered 315/275 set up..…based on your experience driving on these wheels, do you feel the Pirelli Winter Carving 'without studs' would do the trick?

Thx
Appreciate 0