04-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #33
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
Well Xdrive I can see your logic but you would think BMW would a least have a satellite link for an "emergency button" that would not provide any voice capabilities but would indicate that "I have serious trouble, send me help" kind of function. There are satellite communications available for PC internet available now, yes very slow but the technology does exist currently to implement something like this. Maybe even have a cb chip permanently set to channel 9 (emergency channel in USA monitored by police agencies,REACT, Forest Service,etc).

If BMW ever wants to get out of the "we're only trying to sell to the sophisticated I'm somebody older male or the 28 year old male with lots of testosterone but no brains or the older male who thinks he's 28" (guys don't even bother with the spears, it's us) they need to address these things.

To the female demographic these are big deals , we males well never admit we get lost (or ask for directions, reason we bought car with nav) or will ever need someone to save us.

Ok enough soap box, BMW doesn't ask it's customer what they want anyway
so I will be happy with my integrated ipod interface knowing my electronics are more sophisticated than lesser cars.
LOL... I totally agree with you.

In regards to CB, there is no guarantee that this system works either or that someone will be listening. The other issue too is that this again would be a country specific option as not all countries use the same frequency for emergencies not to mention that every country has different restrictions on transmit power.

There are satellite PC cards that can do two way communication, however I don't think there is a single one out there that doesn't require the antenna to be pointing direct at a particular satellite. Well maybe BMW could implement a little antenna that auto-tracks the satellite, like a Bond kinda gadget

But ultimately, I think it all just comes down to reliability and liability issues....
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0