View Single Post
      03-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #105
Pex5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8i

[QUOTE=Poleposition;11638735]From BMW's own explanation of Adaptive Drive "Adaptive Drive with Electronic Damping Control settings ensures a smooth ride, providing unsurpassed dynamics, comfort and safety. Body roll is reduced and steering is optimized."

don't be a victim to the hype...

Seriously though, what I've said is not inconsistent with the BMW materials. They are boasting about being able to create a previously non-existent degree of comfort in what is actually a sport suspension (which is why it came on the sport package).

To use an analogy... AD is like a V8 that shuts off cylinders on the highway to get much better gas mileage than most V8s. But it still uses more gas than a 6 cylinder. Using this analogy, it seems that you are of the opinion that the best scenario is the AD V8 since the small mileage penalty is outweighed by the additional power. I'm right there with you, but the 6 still uses less gas, just like a non AD ride is still more comfy.

Non AD cars are softer. They don't "adapt". They stay that way. AD cars use technology to deliver flat cornering without using race track stiff components, but its still a stiffer ride than a non AD car. Smooth yes - absolutely. Soft, not really.

Personally, I would never want a BMW w/out a sport pack. If the X6 were to be my car, I'd get adaptive drive because I value handling over ride quality. But its a family car and the ride of the sport activity pack is perfect. Not too soft, but less crashy over bumps than the AD suspension even on 20 inch run flats.

DRP

Last edited by Pex5; 03-28-2012 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0