Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdoprey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yea a friend of mine spun a rod bearing and sounded like that... rod knock and it kept getting louder. Engine could be toast!

Their going to have to pull the engine and practically rebuild the bottom end.

That is if it turned out to be that.

If they where concerned with a big tow bill their about to eat the farm ! Probably going to cost them half of what you bought it for !

Look up rod knock on you tube you'll see lots of different examples.

Their was a time you could put load on the engine and hold the brakes and I forgot if the knock is supposed to get quieter or louder to confirm but I'd give it a shot. Lots of info on YouTube for rod knock. I'd suggest looking on how to diagnose if it is.
Been all over the forums and Youtube for past two days. Pretty sure its rod knock along with something else. May have bent a couple of valves or worse.

Right now i'm wondering what they will wanna do? I paid $28K for it and i'm sure they only have $22-23K at best in it. After searching rebuild costs, i doubt they will wanna go that route(probably 10-15K?). That would leave maybe a used motor? They are not cheap either and from what i'm seeing(finding lots of the 400hp N63's but none of the 440hp(not sure what its called) motors) it will be probably $10-15K installed?. Would the dealer actually go that route and then have to worry about another 70-80 days of coverage? Or will they just say "hey, how about we put you in another vehicle"? Or "how about we give you your trade-in back and shake hands and part friends"? I've never dealt with any type of warranty work on a used vehicle.
Well they sometimes are covered with their insurance for these types of issues. Also their gonna have to fix it one way or another, point of owning a dealer sometimes you win sometimes you loose.

They may buy it back they may just fork it over and get it fixed. The 440 is just dealer OE tuned engine software no difference in engine. When they redo the engine your ECU will still be their so you should still have your 440hp.

Otherwise on the plus side you'll have some fresh bearings. But to loose a bearing so early leads me to question its past history and if it was well maintained or if it was hooned by youngsters while at the dealer which caused the issue before you got it.
Appreciate 0