12-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #10
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by getafewlives View Post
If the temperature is set to hot, then it should be hot air. Just because the AC compressor is on, doesn't mean you are getting cold air.

If you have the temp set warm, and the controls are on auto, you should only get warm air out, regardless of if it is cold outside and the AC is on. Even if it is freezing outside and your engine is still cold, the vehicle should not put out cold air (or keep the fan speed to a minimum) until the engine has warmed up sufficiently enough to put out warm air.

Have you ever noticed how some cheap or old cars tend to have foggy windows when it rains, or have a musky smell when you're inside? That's all thanks to moist air. If you're smart, you will just keep it in auto and set the dial to the temperature you want.
I keep the dial right in between hot and cold, but I've never actually waited around to see if it will blow warm air once the engine is up to operating temp. Having the AC compressor running when not using AC just always seemed counterintuitive to me.

Also, recently I've been hearing a whirring sound when the AC does come on so I've been refraining from using it whenever possible fearing a failure may be imminent...but that's a problem for a different thread...
Appreciate 0