View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
virjose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

New X5 Diesel and quick questions on BMW apps

Hey everyone,
My wife and I just added a X5 diesel to the garage this past weekend and we are excited about it. The one we picked up from the dealership has a build day of June 2011 so I assume it has all the latest hardware (including the USB port in the arm rest). My question is regarding the BMW apps (6NR) option as it did not come with it. Can it just be enabled through coding? It already comes with the connected drive but no apps. I ask because I have contacted some vendors and the pricing seems really high to retrofit as they mention hardware and coding needed but then again I do not understand what is involved; i assumed that since it has the latest hardware it is just a matter of coding it to enable apps.

On another note, I downloaded the connected app from bmw into my iPhone, plugged the phone to the armrest port, fired up the app in my phone and tried to connect, but it just hangs. am I missing something? Or is it that since I do not have apps on the car it does not work? but I assumed it would at least connect to the car and give me fuel/travel info, etc.

Thanks for any insights as to what is involved in getting bmw apps to work on a new system just so that I can understand the high price for it.
Appreciate 0