View Single Post
      01-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

Exclamation FYI for X6 xDrive 50i drivers

I posted a thread in December about an SOS sytem failure on my fully loaded 50i that caused malfunctions to the stereo & blutetooth, disabling both. Mine was one of the fist such cases for this model, and it took a week for BMW service to diagnose and fix the problem, but I was happy to know that the issue was resolved. In the end, it was an ECU that needed to be replaced in the computer. My next electrical issue presented itself last Saturday while I was washing my car and listening to playoff football on the Sirius radio, with the engine off. The car went completley dead after 10 minutes, and every time I tried to start the engine, all the symbols on the dash display flashed quickly on and off, and the car started clicking constantly. I had to have it towed to BMW service, where they found I had drained the battery. This was a shock to me considering all I thougt I was doing was listening to the radio, and for no more than 10 minutes. What I was told by the service department is that whenever you turn the power to the radio on, it also sends power to many other drivers that control climate, seats, iPod, cell phone, and etc., etc. etc. I don't claim to be a car expert, so I was curious, does this explanation sound reasonable?
I was disappointed to find that I won't be able to simply listen to games or music while washing my X6, but I guess that's the price you pay for all the other luxuries. I have a habit of leaving my iPod connected in the car for days a a time, and that too will drain battery, even if the car is off (This is what the dealer told me). Thoughts anyone?
Appreciate 0