View Single Post
      09-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Daddy Wagon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport White w/ Blk

I just installed these last week on my 2011 X5d and it took less than two hours.

Only two of the rivets in each wheel well closest to the running board need to be removed. Punch out the center pin and then remove the remaining flange with pliers. When it comes time to reinstall this part, go to the local auto store and buy black christmas tree push pins. These look the same and will eliminate the need to find the originals as well as buy the special plastic rivet tool needed to install them.

As for the for the black pins under the vehicle, just pull those out with a pair of pliers. All of these contain o rings that prevent water from collecting inside the frame so make sure that you do not lose them.

The last thing you'll want to note. Once all of this plastic hardware is removed, open both doors and pull up kind of hard to remove the factory plastic rail. Basically you are pulling out about 9 push pins at once when you are doing this. Also make sure that you assemble the foam padding and aluminum step prior to attaching them to the vehicle.

It's not that bad of a project. Good luck, the finishing looks are worth the frustration!
Appreciate 0