View Single Post
      01-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #169
argento
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5M

Placed my order (with splitter and apple carplay)...thanks for all the input/feedback from this thread. Some of my questions are redundant to what was reported here, but I asked anyway...

Answers in red text from AVIN, they responded same day.

1. Is it possible at vehicle start to default to the 'original car' or 'radio' screens? Maybe it stays at the last know screen at shutoff? Yes, it is possible to set it to return to either original iDrive menu OR the Android menu at each car start.

2. What happens if I'm not in 'original car' or 'radio' screens and I press the idrive buttons? Does it go to the selected screen? YES.

3. The top right of the home screen shows BT, wifi, time, etc. Is this data from the native avin screens (as opposed to the oem screens)? If so, I have to switch to original car screen to see connecteddrive messages, or texts from my iphone that is paried with OEM BT, oem NAV data, etc.)? That top right corner is only for info on the Android screen.

4. I saw a video where selecting reverse didn't switch the screen from a native screen to the oem rear camera. Is that still the case? No. Now with all of the new units that we have in stock whenever you put your car into reverse, it will automatically switch to backup camera mode. Regardless if you are in Android menu UI or original iDrive UI.

5. What happens when I press the oem front left/right camera button on my dash? Does it switch to the camera view if I'm not in 'original car' or 'radio'? YES.

6. Is the 'phonelink' solely for android phones? If so, I need the apple carplay to use my iphone7, correct? Phonelink does Apple AirPlay and Android mirroring. If you want Apple Carplay features and function you will need the USB adapter.

7. Does audio played in the 'radio' (oem) screen go through the avin and back to my car's audio system/speakers? The radio plays the factory sound system the same way as it does now. It does not go through the Android system. All Android audio is outputted to the factory AUX input.

8. If I'm playing audio through 'radio' (oem), can I simultaneously use a nav app in apple carplay w/o loss of music? Or is one or the other? You can play radio and have music playing when you switch over to Android side BUT you can not open any apps including the one for CarPlay. Once you do that the radio would be cut off and only the Audio from the Android side will be played.

Jeremy