10-23-2021, 10:50 PM   #76
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Having driven and continue to drive the X6M on and off again, I have never had any spontanious combustion moments.
Hopefully this is a one-off and I am glad that no one was seriously injured.
A car is just a car.

BMW's engineers and forensic department will extensively look over the car as per all BMW high profile incidents. BMW are not supportive of the Aftermarket which is why if you have a BMW with aftermarket work extensively altering the car they void your warranty. Far too often the customer is left out in the cold by being told that its BMW's fault. I know someone who works with these claims and they say every one is rejected if found to have extensive aftermarket work done.

But as a side effect BMW's Rolls-Royce division has now banned tuners from touching their cars.

I would think their lawyers would invoke Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act to fight it. In this case not sure how they would determine the fire was caused by aftermarket considering the extensive damage. They might be able to prove a tune was done but not sure how you would prove tune caused fire.

"According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle"

https://www.autoanything.com/resourc...act-explained/