View Single Post
      03-28-2012, 01:34 PM   #103
Pex5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
That just doesn't make sense.. If the shock's are variable, how would they not be "softer" than the standard ones when not in sport mode. My point here is that you continue to say the issue is with Adaptive Drive and I disagree with this. Either a) something is wrong with your X5 or b) for some strange reason, the X5 with Adaptive Drive rides worse than the one without (once again, this would not make sense). This board is filled with people (ok, I've only read X6 owners for the most part) who say Adaptive Drive actually makes things smoother (something I would have to agree with - mostly because my X6 rides really smooth). I really think you need to find a dealer with an X5 with adaptive drive and one without (was pretty easy when I was looking) and test drive them both back to back. I'm curious what you find. Like I said, I'll bet something is wrong with your X5.
The answer to your question is that Adaptive drive is truly a performance oriented option. It's not a best of both worlds offering. Instead of putting plain stiff suspension on the X cars, BMW came up with adaptive drive which allows them loosen the springs a bit (this is why despite the roll free cornering, an adapt. drive X will still compress a bit when you hit a dip at highway speeds) and ARS will compensate in corners. The AD also uses a sport pack caliber shock that is variable and can go from stiff to slightly less stiff using all the sensors/computers. Lets face it you hardly notice a difference with sport on or off....The transmission shift points and throttle response changes are more apparent. The shock absorber settings - not so much. AD is 100% a driver's option. Its modernized/computerized sport suspension plain and simple. Non adaptive drive cars in the U.S. are WITHOUT EXCEPTION better riding cars as they have softer springs, shocks and anti sway bars. The non-AD cars roll slightly in corners and are usually equipped with all seasons so handling comparisons are skewed. I'm sorry if it comes as a shock (couldn't resist) that the adaptive ride is essentially a one dimensional sport suspension, but that much is certain from experience in multiple E70s and E71s with all sizes of wheels and suspension options.

Aside from the 3 separate oil leaks we've had with the 4.8, there is nothing "wrong" with our X5.

DRP

Last edited by Pex5; 03-28-2012 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0