View Single Post
      03-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #50
JoeyBimX5din
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I actually paid cash for my X5 as well, but I didn't buy it new. Its really a good idea not to borrow money on cars if your situation allows.

I have a 2008 X5 4.8i with every feature (adapative drive, active seats, etc.). Very nice car, but I found its towing power lacking. I have a 22" travel trailer, and have to keep the car in 3-5th depending if I'm on a hill. Can't run in 6th. So I found the power lacking, and fuel economy (7-8mpg)

I'm trading for a 2011 X5M with 40K miles to solve my power problem. I'd rather have a diesel for its economy, but owning a 335D yeah, I'd rather not have a diesel cause their unreliable. haha, I think the X5M is more reliable for towing. I also figure becasue of the significant improvement of low rpm torque vs the 4.8i I should be able to tow in 6th gear and get better fuel economy. Believe it or not more powerful engines often have bettere towing fuel economy (friend gets 10-11mpg with his X5M)
Only because you saw my open, solidly middle class status, wound, and came up with a handful of salt, and a handful of dirt, and shoved both those handfuls into my wound, will I comment on your tow loads. Please take this as though I am speaking in as humbly of a tone as I can convey through an internet forum. Take as little disrespect as you can from this comment, I am concerned for your X, you, and whomever may be on the road with you and your X while towing this load you are describing.

The X5 is not enough truck for that load. If your paying cash for your X's, you need to have the X, then have yourself a pickup (or 8 lug SUV ala Suburban 2500/Ford Excursion), it doesn't even have to be a diesel , think Chevrolet, Ford, Dodge, take your pick. Even a 1500 from those afromentioned 3, or the Japanese, Toyota, and Nissan would be a solid choice. A 22' trailer with a car I assume is in the 8-10,000 lbs range, and IMO you should have yourself two vehicles, because unless you come back and inform me the load is 'only' 5-6,000 lbs, you don't have enough truck for that load.

You don't know my backstory so you may doubt what I am telling you, but I have owned many "HD" trucks over there years, and also having towed many "HD" worthy loads over the years. I also have for the past many years, been a class 8 and lower truck technician, and currently run a heavy equipment shop, for a fleet rated in top 10 in the country last year.
1995 BMW 540i6 - H&R Lowering Springs, Bilstein's, Racing Dynamics Bars, Catback, Short shifter
Appreciate 0