11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
CJP5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
Chrome to Black Exhaust Tips

Picked up my new X5 and the mods have started... Not a fan of the chrome tips and two dealers told me they were welded on. They're NOT welded. There are 4 press fit clips on the inside of the tip that secure it to the exhaust pipe coming off the muffler. Grab the tip and twist while you're pulling it off.

Rather than dealing with the hassle of powder coating, I thought I would try painting them myself since I wanted it done today and if I messed up I could always have them powder coated later.

I sanded them with a power sander with three different grits. Sprayed with self etching primer 2 coats and baked in the oven between each for 15min. Then sprayed with gloss black engine enamel and baked in the oven between coats.

Just put them on the car and I think they look great. The black looks much better with the mods I have coming (black wheels, black trim getting painted AW, etc).
Attached Images

Sprt, Prem, Nav l 19" Avant Garde M310's- Matte Gunmetal l Black Grills l M3 Wheel w/LCI Paddles l M Spt l BMW Perf Rear l M3 Spoiler l Cyba 4" Blk Chrm tips l AW refl l Tint l GP Thunder 8500K l Stop Tech Rotors l Perf Shiftr/Boot l BMS JB4 Stage 2
Appreciate 0