View Single Post
      01-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
AWe90
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 --> F10

Best X5 (35i or 35d) for wife's kid hauler?

Hello - happy to be here posting on xbimmers.

I would like to start by saying that I'm fully aware the topic of 35i vs 35d has been thoroughly covered, and that I have searched and read dozens of threads. I am however new to the X5 world, and especially new to the world of diesel's. Just trying to do my due diligence.

Our situation is this - typical family w/ 2.5 kids, hectic schedules, busy lives, etc. My wife does a lot of running here, running there, and the mileage returns on her V8 volvo is becoming a harder pill to swallow. I would say about 70% of our driving is city, with the occasional weekend getaway with the kids (say 2 to 4 hours in the car of highway driving). Given our situation, I am wondering which X5 would make the most sense for us. The concerns I have are:

MPG....realistic MPG. With the majority of our driving being done in the city, and with the higher costs of diesel, I am wondering if the diesel would be worth it?

Reliability. As I've stated, I am completely new to both X5's and diesel's. Does either powerplant present great benefits in the general reliability department?

Maintenance Costs. Seeing as petrol engines are more dominant on the road, does this mean diesel's cost more to fix or maintain?

Daily Driving Comfort. Keeping in mind what this vehicle will realistically be used for (i.e. wifey and kids pound it on a daily basis, once every month or two I get to relax and take pride in my purchase, while cruising with the fam down the interstate. Anyone with kids can realte ) does the diesel or turbo engine have any strengths? I've heard some horror stories about the diesel being a bit "rough" at idle, around town, etc.

I generally keep vehicles quite a long time as well, and easily put 80-100k on the odo. The only reason I am considering unloading the XC90, is because of fuel economy. I should also mention that I plan to purchase a used X5, so the dealer incentives for diesel's (if they're even still around) is a moot point.

Thanks in advance for any support!