View Single Post
      02-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

I think the logical argument should be centered on gasoline brands, not which octane to use. You absolutely should use the factory recommended octane rating to avoid knock and power loss. The ECU absolutely will retard timing and adjust the A/F ratio if you run lower octane fuel in these engines. This results in lower power output, and lower fuel economy. It's simple math people...

Now if you want to save money? Consider fueling up at (well maintained) fuel depots like a Costco, which is TONS cheaper per gallon than Chevron or Shell. The fuel is almost always exactly the same, but you're paying $.30 per gallon more just for the fuel additives that Shell or Chevron drop in the reservoir before the truck wheels itself over to the cheaper station. And that additive does nothing but add detergent which keeps the injectors clean. Which is important, but there is more than one way to skin the injector kitty.

My mechanic adivses me to run Costco premium gas, and run a batch of fuel injector cleaner through it every few months. Been doing that for a while with no complaints, but have saved $$$ every time I fill up.
Appreciate 0