04-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #16
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurSid View Post
Hate to resurrect an older thread but not much out there on the S63 X5 M timing chain issues.

2013 E70 X5 M - 51,000 miles
Started with what sounded like a valve tapping or something in the valve train.
The noise would go away at idle after a few minutes or under heavy acceleration. Usually it was pretty loud, in fact some thought it sounded like a diesel truck coming down the road. The injector service had already been done, and some thought it was the HPFP or something like that.
Got progressively worse over a week of normal driving.
Took it in to BMW Service center under extended CPO warranty and they found metal in the oil. They removed the drivers side valve cover and found that a timing chain guide was gone. They didn't know where it was or where it went, but it was missing and causing the timing chain to rub against a metal portion of the engine, shaving metal off in to the oil.
After a discussion with BMWNA, they were told to replace the engine.
Everything is supposed to be covered under warranty. Car is still in the shop waiting on a new engine from BMW.

I thought this updated information might help someone else with a loud noise in the valve train or at least help us track this issue if it becomes more prevalent.
Great info!

Would you happen to have a video or sound clip you can share of what the vehicle sounded like? I have a ticking noise (not injectors) that comes and goes which I always attributed to valve tapping but never actually diagnosed. Knowing what your vehicle sounded like would maybe help some of us identify our issue or rule that one out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0