View Single Post
      03-20-2014, 09:18 PM   #6
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I have the premium sound and it is crystal clear at high volume enough to drown out road noise with windows down and sunroof open on the freeway. In fact after my first road trip from PCD (BMW Performance Center Delivery in Greer, South Carolina) to Florida, I decided an upgrade was unwarranted.

Even the regular system shouldn't be quiet per se. I second the notion that it's the source vs the system. OP, or are you comparing the same CD and/or mp3 files in other cars when stating this?

If comparing exactly the same CD and/or mp3 files, then check your equalizer settings if you have one (my X6M has an equalizer part of the premium sound package I think, but could be available with regular sound) and also check that the fader or balance is not improperly set up.

Past that it could be a blown or malfunctioning amp.

I don't recommend using radio to test or qualify the performance of any sound system as there are too many variables with signal and in the best case scenario you're still streaming low quality (low bitrate) sound when compared to a CD or properly ripped mp3 file. Even iTunes files now download at very high bitrate and are excellent quality, which hasn't always been the case. Make sure to use something like this for your testing, not the radio.
Appreciate 0