View Single Post
      12-24-2020, 12:12 PM   #35
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
Yes , perfect timing. Had the car finished and first test drive yesterday. I thought i was driving a cadilac there for a min. It was soo smooth and super responsive. The old timing chain was a bit stretch.

I don’t recommend anyone dropping this motor from the top. As big as a suv may sound, the engine bay have zero space. I had to tilt the motor in one side at a time and then lining up everything was a 2 day process.
Still taking it easy with the cheap oil to flush out all the dirt,coolant, and assembly lube that is still in there.
Anyways, this job kicked my ass as far as labor. Parts were just a little over $3k for all gasket, bearings, timing components and a lot of misc bolts for rebuild.
Nicely done. Hats off to you.

This job would probably take some years off my life.

When you reinstalled the timing chains; were they particularly tight compared to before? I just replaced my valve cover gaskets, and inspected the chain. They looked good, but the drivers side bank I could wiggle it slightly on the cam gear. Was not sure if that is normal or not.

Personally. I think these timing chains are really low quality. Especially for an engine that puts out more power than a Ferrari F430. They just seemed small, and dainty. IIRC my e90 m3's timing chain was much more robust than this one. I currently have 85k miles on mine. I maintain it well, and was dealer maintained with 8k oil change intervals during the first ownership.

$3,000 does not sound bad at all for the work you just did.. I think I just spent that in parts just doing valve covers, all seals, water pump, turbo blanket, plugs, vacuum hoses, MAF hoses, ect..

I would like to do some preventative maintenance such as, timing chains, rod bearings, or oil pump. But still undecided on what to do. I know a BMW step program teacher who knows everything about every BMW. And he said just keep up with the 5k oil change interval. And I wont ever have to do anything. I want to believe him. But after seeing the skimpy timing chains on these s63, its hard to take advice like that. Even with him being a BMW trackside engineer, and BMW walking encyclopedia.

Cheers-
Great work!
Appreciate 0