View Single Post
      02-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #14
Esdras_R
Rep
Drives: 2009 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
As others have mentioned this is a complicated beast to work on. Parts really aren't to bad, its the labor that will kill you so can't recommend you get into a high mileage X5M unless you have one hell of a warranty, or you are going to work on it yourself.

The biggest problem with the n63/s63 platform are the valve stem seals, ccv system, turbo oil return, and turbo coolant lines. Minor but easy to fix issues like coils/plugs and injectors are also a factor on any engine past 100k.

While the engine compartment looks daunting, its actually logically laid out and while extremely time consuming, not too bad to work on. With that being said, a job like the valve stem seals will take the average mechanic 40-60 hours to do. I did them myself and spent well over 120+ hours as I also removed the heads to clean up all the carbon, lap the valves, and do a mild port job. I don't have a lift so had to do it all in car which greatly added to the time.

Below is a video of the valve stem seal replacement on the n63, which save for the upper intake manifolds and minor differences in the CCV lines/intercooler coolant lines, is the exact same job on the s63. If the video doesn't scare you, then go for it. If this is something you don't want to tackle yourself, then make sure you have a warranty that will cover this if you decide to buy. I was consuming 1 quart of oil every 700 miles, after valve steam seals were replaced it dropped to 1/2 a quart every 5K miles. The James Bond smoke screen I left at every stop light also stopped =). If you buy, make sure to test the truck by letting it idle for 5min, then watch for any smoke when you take off.

I am at 165K miles now, but like the other member posted, I also did alot of preventative maintenance with new injectors, coils, turbos, vacuum pump, pressure converters, cam sensors, vanos solenoids, etc. Still running 12.6 1/4 mile and 4.2 0-60, not to shabby for such a heavy high mileage beast.

I think I saw some of your posts as I searched around the forum. Very impressive on the amount of work you're able to do, I don't think I have the mental aptitude to keep track of where it all goes once I take it apart lol
Appreciate 0