View Single Post
      08-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
LANDLORD
Turbo Engines are Fun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X6M Monte Carlo Blue

Anything that says Hybrid, Organic, Natural, or Green is selling very well out here

Ever since the hybrid vehicles came out, there has been a disproportionate amount of them driving around the streets of LA. At first it was because the hybrids were allowed to drive in the carpool lanes with only one occupant. But there was also always a lot of the environmentally bent people lining up to purchase anything that said hybrid. The government tax incentives were also helping it along for awhile. I am sure that most people do not sit down and do the math to factor in total cost of ownership over 5 years, and whether or not the premium paid is ever recouped in gas mileage savings.

This vehicle is a wonderful piece of technology, and very impressive. I wonder though about the increase in the component and parts count in these vehicles, and how they will hold up over time. How many more parts does it take to build a hybrid vehicle over the save vehicle without the hybrid stuff? What is the weight penalty for the system? What is the expected life of the components and at what point does the battery lose performance? If you get in an accident, how easily is the system destroyed beyond repair?

Over all I believe the sole reason for using this technology is the "Feel Good" feeling people get. The slight improvement in fuel economy does not warrant the extra cost and how green is it really when you take into account the raw materials, and energy used, producing such a WHITE ELEPHANT!
Appreciate 0