View Single Post
      03-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #35
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Keep in mind that you're looking at the above pictures in the most flattering fashion: dead straight on. It's no secret that once you start looking at the X5 from different angles that the outer halos will start dropping off very quickly.

In the end, whether you do halogen or LED lights, it will never look like the OEM LED coronas. It's a limitation of the design, and the only thing your bulbs will do is change the color of the emitted light.

There are two options: get an X5 that already has the updated LED coronas, or spend a few dollars on some aftermarket halogen or LED lights. They won't ever look anywhere close to the OEM LEDs, but will get rid of the piss yellow that comes as OEM. Just don't spend too much money on it, as it's just not worth it.
I think I had about $1000 in the LCI headlights. I sold my non LCI headlights for $750, so my cost for the headlights is $250. I did pay $260 for a new FRM3 though, because I didn't know whether the vin could be re-written in a used FRM. After getting a new FRM3, you can re-write the uif for the vin a total of 3 times, so feel free to pick up a used one on ebay.

I started collecting parts about a year ago, and would wait until I got a deal on ebay. As other people have posted before, you can find good deals, but it all depends on how impatient and knowledgeable you are.

Not one of the vendors has posted a picture directly comparing the OE LCI rings to the aftermarket stuff. Lets see how they compare. The challenge has been issued.