View Single Post
      02-22-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Question To go big turbo or not to go big turbo...

First, let me say that I sold my C6 in 2013 and want to get back into a Corvette. C6 Z06, C6 ZR1 or Non-Z C7.

As far as the matter at hand, my current toy is a Mazdaspeed6. I love these cars. This is my 2nd one. Bought my 1st new in 2007 & should have kept it!

Anyway, I'm at the point where it's either leave it alone w/the bolt-ons it has or go big turbo along w/upgrade the downpipe while it's down.

Could I just pocket this money and put it in Vette fund or use it for something else? Of course! However, a couple grand really won't have any bearing on getting back into a Vette. I estimate that I'm not getting back into a Vette until at least a year or more from now regardless.

If I go with the BNR Stage 3 turbo, I'm looking at around 340 AWHP on 93 octane. Now comes the more money part...If I add meth, I can get more HP out of her, but then I need a fail safe and probably what is called a Guardian Angel to protect the motor from going BOOM should the meth malfunction.

My original plan was make around 375 AWHP as that is about what the stock block can typically handle. That would put the car in the 11s with a good launch. Now that I need meth to get close, I'm a little annoyed that this may get more pricey than I wanted. Damn parasitic loss thanks to AWD. Still glad it's not a FWD Speed3, though.

Now I'm on the fence about dropping the money on the car due to this.
There's also the fact that, apparently, all the stock K04 turbos in these cars eventually start to smoke & then it's downhill from there. Mine has no issues now. Knock on wood!
What does E90P think I should do?

As of right now, it's not my daily driver. I sold my beater & relegated my Miata back to daily duty. However, once I get back into a Vette, the Miata will get sold & the MS6 will go back to daily duty. Unless I pick up another beater at the time which is very possible.
Appreciate 0