08-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #222
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I really wanted to like the GTS. It had the sport chrono package, lowered suspension, etc... i was excited to get it on a track. But I think two of the worst factors for me was opting for the PDK and the 4wd. I'm quite sure i would have enjoyed my time with it much more if it didn't have those options. Everyone raved about the PDK but that was one of the nagging issues that kept it at the dealer. The lag in 1st gear and the clunking going into 2nd gear was dreadful. Every time you started the car, the first time shifting from 1st to 2nd the tranny would lag for ever. If you were getting on it, pulling into traffic or something and were at high RPM when it shifted, it sounded like the tranny just dropped out of the car. Plus the lag is so long that it would be bouncing off rev limiter until the inevitable kick in the ass when 2nd gear finally engaged. Porsche NA, once i got them involved just brushed it off by stating that was a characteristic of the PDK.

The 4wd was a whole other issue that really dampened the joy of running twisty roads at a relaxed pace. If you went into a turn at yawning 4-5 tenths of the cars capabilities everything was fine. You got to experience that precise Porsche steering. If you went into the corner at spirited 6-7 tenths, the front wheel drive would kick on mid corner and cause the front end to push, then you let off because you're running wide, and then the front end bites again. If you went in the corner at a track day 8 tenths or higher, the car seemed to have the 4wd already on and it behaved well. It's not always possible or responsible to drive at 8 tenths on the street, which made daily driving it either boring or unpredictable.

The oddest thing about this car that neither the dealer or Porsche NA had an explanation for was the unsettled, floating, super light steering feeling the car had when over 110mph. I remember after breaking the engine in for a good 1k miles, i was on the highway late at night an had an opportunity to make a high speed run when no one was around. The first time i hit 120 i slowed down very quickly, made sure the deployable spoiler was out and did it again. Same feeling which was very unsettling. My first car, 1985 supra felt more stable at 120 than this 2012 GTS4. I don't know what it was, but the most i felt comfortable doing was an indicated 135. The M3 is a stark contrast in this department. I've been at an indicated 167 and it felt just as stable as if you were doing 90.

Just like the article stated, it seemed the GTS was always fighting what i wanted it to do. That's why i suppose deleting the dynamic 4wd and PDK would make it more enjoyable. Who knows, maybe i'll give a 2wd version another go. But then the Cayman and all it's available mods makes that a hard decision to make. I keep thinking more and more that a modded Cayman is something that i could get into.

But for now, i'm trying to see how the project E30 is going to turn out. Track suspension on a 1991 318is with modded E30 M3 motor putting out about 290hp should be a load of fun to drive. At the tuner now getting new fuel mapping. Should be the last hurdle to get it running right.
I had the same floaty front end feeling in my 997 Turbo. I'm telling you, my E92M3's were much more planted north of 120 mph than any 911 I owned. My former CaymanS was very well planted.

Porsche build fantastic vehicles but like you and Gthal have noted.....they are not without their faults like ever other manufacturer out there.

Off topic --- love the Bastiat quote......I have a feeling we have much more in common than just our interest in cars.

Last edited by alms21; 08-19-2015 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0