01-26-2016, 08:29 AM   #29
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I get that, but don't think it helps to compare the car to premium luxury brands in the way they do. Are they trying to market it as a well sorted value proposition to those in the market for a $20K - $30K car or are they trying to be something they are not? They should be doing the former and there are better points to sell than the fact some people in the focus group supposedly couldn't tell it was a Chevy. Did they not recognize it because it is nice and the rest of their lineup and brand is crap? Is that the message they are spending millions on advertising?

Interesting how no one thought it was a Cadillac. I guess Chevy doesn't put Caddy in the same league as the others named in the commercial. Or, maybe the whole thing was just contrived. I didn't read fine print on the screen but wouldn't be surprised if the "focus group" is actually fictional.
The "focus group" is obviously fictional. Anyone who thinks that car actually looks like a Lexus or BMW should be dragged into a field and shot.

And they didn't say Cadillac because they don't want to cannibalize sales.

The point of the ad was to get the "average" shopper (those who drive 10 miles below the speed limit in the left lane in their Camry while they're texting) to think that an affordable car could be like a luxury car worth tens of thousands more. And their ads are similar to Buicks, where they surprise people by showing that their brand is "as good" as brands with more of a positive reputation.
Appreciate 0