View Single Post
      06-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
BostOntaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: black

2012-2013 X6 & X5 Power Steering Recall

Hello,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on my first post, but I got a panic call last night from BMW USA to tell me of a possible power steering failure in my 2013 X6.

Some "unidentified" hydraulic component may fail causing a leak of PS flud which then may cause an engine compartment fire.

The recall letter is not going out "until July", but they told me to watch for oil leaks and/or a loss of PS assist.

It affects the vehicles as noted above.

Virtually impossible to check for small leaks in the engine compartment due to the crowded components and the cladding under the engine means that any leak will be major before it hits the ground.

I would check the hydraulic reservoir on the driver's side of the engine compartment, at the front. It's a screw cap that's labeled "Petrosin only".

I'm sure it's nothing to worry too much about, since BMW isn't telling me not to drive it, but I personally stocked up on bratwurst just in case that fire breaks out.

BT

PS. And here's a for the Spartanburg assembly crew that note only buggered my PS but left off half of my M package without telling me.
Appreciate 0